This article includes helpful information related to our custom sizing option, including the following topics:
- What is Custom Sizing?
- Is it a Perfect Fit?
- Is it Returnable?
- How do I measure?
- Can I Customize My Order?
- Can I Custom Order a Standard Size?
- Custom Sizing Limitations
WHAT IS CUSTOM SIZING?
Custom sizing is one of two sizing options available for customers ordering any of our made-to-order dress options. It is a great alternative for customers who are in between sizing or simply want an overall closer fit than a standard size can provide.
With custom sizing, we will make the dress to your exact measurements including bust, waist, hips height, and hollow to floor (for floor length styles, there will be an option to provide extra length).
Custom sizing costs the same and takes the same amount of time to make as a standard size dress but custom dresses are non-returnable for any reason, including wedding cancellations or last minute changes.
If you are pregnant and plan to custom order a dress for your event, be sure to see our instructions and tips in the Maternity FAQ.
IS IT A PERFECT FIT?
Our custom sizing option is basic as we can only accept a total of 5 measurements (not including extra length). That isn't enough information to provide a perfect fit but it is enough to create a good fit. While extensive alterations shouldn't be needed, you may need to make a few adjustments here and there.
To help with this, we do offer some alteration reimbursements if you do get your custom dress and need alterations. These costs will help but may not entirely cover the cost of alterations you may need and Azazie is not responsible for additional fees associated with alterations.
IS IT RETURNABLE?
We understand that sometimes circumstances can change and a custom dress may no longer be needed for some unexpected reason but custom sizing is non-returnable for any reason, including, but not limited to wedding cancelations, incorrect ordering, or sizing changes.
Before you can add a custom dress to your Shopping Bag, you do have to confirm that you understand that it will be non-returnable and you have to confirm this again before you can place the order.
HOW DO I MEASURE?
With the help of a friend, sit down and watch our instructional measuring video before following along using a soft measuring tape (not a ruler or construction tape) to measure you.
Once you have your measurements, we recommend that you add 0.25 to 0.5 inches (or centimeters if you are ordering on the Mexico or French website) to your bust, waist, and hip measurements just to give yourself some room for comfort.
A few additional notes to consider when measuring:
- Be sure to wear fitted clothing (like leggings and a tank top) when measuring and be sure you are wearing a supportive bra (wether you plan to wear a bra with the dress or not). If you have shapewear you plan to wear, you can also wear that when you measure.
- We do not recommend decreasing your measurements if you are planning to lose weight. Order 4 months before your event using your current measurements otherwise, order a standard size.
- As custom sizing is basic, we cannot accept additional measurements and we cannot change the proportions of the pattern. If you are concerned about where the waistline will hit on your torso, styles with empire waistlines may be safer as they are fitted at the under bust instead of the waist.
- You do not need to be measured at a bridal store or by a seamstress. If you are, please make sure they read over or watch our guidelines to ensure they are measuring you correctly as different bridal companies and seamstresses will take measurements differently.
- We accept measurements in inches for our US and UK websites. Be sure to convert your height measurement to inches at checkout. For example, if you are 5'6" you will put your height as 66 inches and NOT 56 inches.
- We accept measurements in centimeters for all other international websites.
CAN I CUSTOMIZE MY ORDER?
Custom sizing is not the same as custom design. If you need a dress to be shorter or longer than advertised, we won't be able to accommodate that request. That means, we can't make a floor-length dress into a knee-length or make a knee-length dress into a floor-length design.
Never change your height and hollow to floor if you think this will make your dress a bit shorter or longer. The height and hollow to floor are used to determine where the hemline, neckline, and waistline should fall and changing either of these can end up moving the waistline of your dress up below your neck.
CAN I CUSTOMIZE A STANDARD ORDER?
Because we are making the dress to your measurements and it is non-returnable, we never recommend ordering a custom size dress using the measurements of a standard size dress.
This is because standard sizing has some ease built in for comfort while custom sizing is made exactly as ordered. Further, since we’re asking for your height and hollow to floor measurements, the overall fit and proportions of the dress will change. This means the waistline, bustline, and hemline may be higher or lower depending on the measurements.
If you tried on a standard size and fit well but was too long, we recommend ordering the same standard size and having it hemmed up to ensure the same fit.
CUSTOM SIZING LIMITATIONS
Because of the way our dresses are designed, we're not always able to custom make a dress to the measurements provided during checkout. If this happens, don't worry!
We won't just cancel your order, we will reach out to you to let you know about the issue and offer some solutions for you, so be sure that your contact information is accurate before you place your order.
If you plan to order a custom size but are worried about your measurements, please do reach out to our amazing customer service team with a complete list of your measurements and the style you plan to order so we can take a look!